On the 16th of February, I had my 17th birthday. The party had been in the works for a couple of weeks and the day right after that was a week-long semester holiday. Here are my pictures of both.
 |
| My night started off in Gösser Brau, the official restaurant of the Gösser beer brewery, classic Austria. |
 |
| In the cellar, you could rent the room for the night, and aside from the big table was a Keggeln lane. Basically nine pin bowling. |
 |
| This was dinner: Everything and the kitchen sink. |
 |
| Most of my class made it out, it was really fun to mix exchange students and class mates. |
 |
| And my favorite Austrian also came: My host cousin Matthias. |
 |
| At the end of dinner, My classmates came together and got me a classic Steirish hat. If you walk five minutes where I live, you cant count on two hands, how many elderly guys wear these. it was really emotional and truly made the night. |
 |
| THis was taken back at the house where we all came for a delicious chocolate and banana cake iris had made me for my birthday. |
 |
| Garner how old are you bro. |
 |
| My bro Thomas showing me up on the fiddle. |
 |
| An obligatory selfie. |
 |
| If there are enough girls, garner will dance. A true sight. |
~
The very next day on Saturday, we drove up to Turrach, a ski area frequented by my host family. There's good slopes, a nice park, and some cool backcountry options. Even more so when you ride with someone whos way better than you i.e. my host brothers
 |
| Flo showing me how to wax skis |
 |
| Me waxing my own skis |
 |
| Avalanches don't scare me |
 |
| Very cold |
 |
| Whats the point without style? |
 |
| A little after dinner fun:) |
 |
| A not so helpful side effect of 2 feet of powder overnight |
 |
| Powder buds 4 lyfe |
 |
| You can find beauty without the human footprint. |
~
 |
| The last selfie |
Well after a couple of weeks of talking about it, Reggie made the executive decision to leave for home. Based on medical reasons, it was a respectable decision, however, the loss of a friend is not taken easily by those left behind.
We had a dinner at his host mom's house and eventually migrated back to mine to hang out one last time in the cold, between the mountains. Due to the exchange of a power adapter earlier in the year, we had to once again exchange them, a final act that made his leaving all too real.
I had gone upstairs to get Reggie's charger and as I came down, he was standing right at the gate of the stairwell. I went to hand him the charger but he refused and said we got to go all the way to the door.
When got there he laid his charger down on a shelf and I did the same. I lowered my gaze because I felt tears prickling and he asked when I was coming to Kansas. I told him maybe the summer after this one and then he said well I guess the better question is when am I coming to Texas.
He said he could probably do it this summer.
"So this is it", I said.
"In 6 months you become one of the best friends I have ever had", He replied.
We hugged and he opened up the door. Pausing to take a look back, I did my version of the boy scout salute.
Then he was gone.
Comments
Post a Comment