Ski Break
![]() |
| What!?! Snowboarding AND skiing??? Wow, what a G. |
They say this can be one of the roughest times for exchange students. During the holidays, you start missing home a little bit more and wondering what your family is up to.
At times like these, it's best to immerse yourself in your host family and get busy...
Like sayyyy, tagging along on a 2-week ski break!
~
My host family and their extended family are some of the greatest, only second to my own.
They make me feel right at home, like part of the family.
If there's one thing that I'm thankful for, it's them: My host mom and dad, my host siblings, grandparents and everyone else that I've met. It's been a spectacular way to experience how life goes on here and I have so much gratitude.
I spent the second day of break skiing. As I did the first day and plan for every other day in my break. It may be a break for my mind, but not for my body, am I right?
Christmas
After a killer breakfast as per-usual, Bastey (host-brother) and I left for our grandparent's house to get together with the rest of the family.I reunited with parts of the family I hadn't seen in awhile, which put me in a better mood that I didn't expect at all.
![]() |
| Some of my grandparents back home know what my priorities are: Food and making it taste delish |
![]() |
| Ur boi Bastey and I |
![]() |
| If you'll look back to a post maybe one or two after language camp, I think I include a picture similar to this. |
![]() |
| If you hadn't already guessed it: Yes it is Zirbitzkogel, the first hike and summit I reached in Austria. |
![]() |
| As suggested by Iris, my host mom, a good gift for the grandparents would be to play some Christmas songs with Amelie, My host sister. |
I hung out with Basti a lot and it was super cool.
It makes it that much easier when you got a good friend to mess around with.
We also went sledding on Zirbitzkogel and after an hour hike up a mountain with a sled in tow and a drink at the top, we raced to the bottom.
![]() |
| Bastey and I can get some serious speed with our combined weight and near-professional skill for sledding, |
![]() |
| However, we still only got third:( |
A couple of weeks back, Iris had suggested that we invite Oliver and Reggie over to Turrach for NYE. I'm so glad she did because it turned out to be a great time for all of us.
Marie, Reggie's past host sister drove them up while visiting home for the holidays from Spain.
Speaking of Spain, My next post might have something to do with that;)
![]() |
| Ski Wasser is the greatest thing and everyone should know about it. (Literally just Rasberry juice with lemon and sugar. Make it yourself) |
![]() |
| Mathias and Paula (cousins) also shown here. |
![]() |
| Skiing while its snowing is the best because no one wants to brave the cold, so no one is on the slopes smh |
~
Tonight, I was roped into playing a game with Amelie, Oliver, Reggie, and my host parents. It turned out to be a more complicated version of Sorry and it was awesome. We had to pair up; I was with Andy, my host dad.
Iris and Amelie won but it really got serious when the losers started playing for second place.
We started putting lots of meaning into the second place win; so much so, that we forgot that we were playing for second and not for first.
In a huge play, we took the win with a swift and deadly strike, destroying the competition.
We were victorious.
![]() |
| The real winners. |
![]() |
| The "Winners" |
![]() |
| Literally nothing. |
![]() |
| This was on the first day that everyone came over. From left to right: Lawrence, Stefan, Mathias, Me, Flo, Reggie, Oliver, Andy, Dianna, and Amelie. |
![]() |
| Some good griddle food. |
![]() |
| Little ski break here and there. |
![]() |
| This picture makes me look the shortest in the family, but I assure you I'm not. |
![]() |
| Photo creds to my man Oliver. Insta: whydontamericansusewhatsapp |
~
New Year's Eve
After snowboarding that day, Oliver, Reggie, Reggie's future host siblings and I went to the local club to have a fun night before the new year. We decided to be back at the house before midnight to experience “bringing in the new year” together.
We got there a little before 12 and Oliver had bought some fireworks earlier in the week. The night sky was soon lit with explosions designating the end of 2017.
Just as we were lighting off the last of ours, the other fireworks reached a climax as Reggie uttered, "It's 2018".
We yelled and sang and congratulated each other in surviving as long as we have here and wishing each other a lucky 2018 and rest of exchange.
~
![]() |
| The second package came in from my Mom containing the sustenance for a fruitful life: Beef jerky. |
~
It is the first day of the new year.
I've been with Reggie and Oliver for days now and skiing for longer. They are leaving tonight after the Krampuslauf and fireworks show surrounding the lake.
Sad to see 'em go, but it will be better for my German so I guess it's pretty swell.
~
Since everyone has gone, I started going out with the ski instructors.
Flo is one too if that's how you're wondering how I might be able to pull off such an amazing feat of awesome.
They were really cool and accepted me as if I was also 22.
I think I hung with them pretty well and I'm glad I did.
![]() |
| lol |
~
I've had a long 16 days of skiing. Check that distance.
Eat your heart out Texas ❤️
.
.
.
just kidding i miss you a lot.















































💕💕!!!!!
ReplyDelete