Update: Aug. 26 - Sep. 1
![]() |
| Mmm, look at that colorful duvet |
Guess I'll start where I left off: coming home.
I got picked up by Reggie's host family, the Schlederer's. Reggie and I were both starving so we stopped off for some classic, Austrian schnitzel. After that I got dropped off in my village of Proleb and met my oldest host bro: Florian. This guy is the best and always includes me when he goes to the garage to work on his van or hangs out with friends.
Later that day, Marie's (Reggie's host sister) mom picked me up with Reggie and Marie and we went up to the mountains to spend the night at a cabin. It was cool, the air was clean and Reggie (An eagle scout) and I started a campfire which I didn't know how much I missed.
![]() |
| Sorry to flex on y'all |
The next couple of days were kind of used to rest and relax but on the 29th, we hiked.
Flo and I picked Reggie up with another mate of his and we drove an hour up to a trail head.
(I did not have hiking boots because none of the ones we had fit my huge feet so I was in the least supportive tennis shoe I could use:/)
Two hours later, we summited the mountain and had a cold lunch, but not after taking some rad pics.
![]() |
| Every mountain has a cross on it, not exactly sure why but Reggie used it at comedic expense.😂 |
The day after that hike, Reggie and I went on yet another adventure: Scuba Diving. In a mountain lake. The water was very, VERY cold. Diving is one of those things where it's a lot harder that it looks. You have to always have your ears equalized to the pressure and float at the perfect ratio of air and remember to breathe. I'm hugely thankful to Mrs. Schlederer for letting Reggie and I do that.
That brings us to yesterday, the 31st. I woke up that morning and was told that we should have BBQ that night by Flo. Obviously I knew it was going to have to be good, and I knew it was going to take a long time. We had breakfast, picked up Reggie and went shopping. (I'm from Texas and Reggie is from Kansas: Two of the most well know States for BBQ. Kansas for they're sauce, and Texas, for they're dry rub. So we each got what we needed respectively.) We got 9 racks of spare ribs and spices while I was searching for the best technique to turn a gas grill into a smoker.
The second we got home, Reggie and I started thawing the meat cooking the sauce and mixing the rub. Every now and again, Reggie would have me taste the sauce. (It ended up being the best I have ever eaten.) We finally got the ribs on the grill and let them smoke, with me basting them with a apple cider and rub mixture every 30min. 5 hours later they were ready. I slapped the sauce on at the last minute and let it caramelize.
Those were the best ribs I think I have ever had. They weren't necessarily the most tender but it was working with friends for hours to get them the way they were that made it taste that much better.
Also, I um... added a lot of chilli powder. And Cayenne. And black pepper to the rub and sauce. They were way too spicy for the little kids who has never had anything that spicy ever so I felt a little bad but I had also made corn so it was all good.
![]() |
| Damn, look at those babies. |
![]() |
| Reggie, Marie and I enjoying the fruits of our labor. |
Alright I'm gonna end this post with answering my letters that came in my care package.
Reid:
I'm glad your doing region band dude, that's pretty cool. Think of classical as a prerequisite for jazz. I hope you get that 4runner, old Toyotas and such are a dime a dozen here. Flo has an old diesel VW van that's super lit. Git gud enough to beat me in a round at Starke when I get back.
P.s. please protect our bet from Dot.
Mom:
I'm proud of you for dealing with your work stress the way you have this past year. It takes a strong person for you to get through what you have and make it in one piece. I'm glad I'm missing the 110 degree weather in hot and dry Seguin. Miss you a lot!
Dad:
Don't worry Dad, your golf game will get better if you play with Reid enough. I'm glad you still have the big bike, but I hope you'll have something new and different as a second. Sad to miss bird hunting but there are a lot of hunting opportunities here. Be sure to eat my share of the Mexican food and drink all the Horchata you can:)
Sam:
It's goin great bro thanks for asking. The German is difficult but I'm understanding more each day. I have no idea what I'll do about STAARs but I'm sure I'll take them when I get back. The food is great, there is a ton of bread, so it's hard to stay full for extended periods of time. That's awesome about your Youth Orchestra, I can't wait to see the concert.
Steve:
You are right about the lack of control that I have but I'm dealing with it. Say yes to everything and all will work out. Thanks for thinking about me during your classes. Ill think about being a guest speaker when I get back;)
Miss. Michelle:
I hope you realize that that name will never go away😂 I am lucky to be out of the chaos of the new school. I don't know if I could bear to have another scratch on my truck. To answer your question, people aren't as concerned as us of course, but they still recognize the tragedy of Charlottesville. My friend Reggie who is very politically involved, keeps me up to date on my news. Most people see our current leadership as a joke, only something to be laughed at and not taken seriously. They are not a media centered here, it's closer to BBC (i.e. no Fox News.) I'd say right now, my favorite Austrian thing is the scenery and hospitality. Everyone so extremely welcoming of me and I have been invited to to many things. I hope I answered your questions the way you wanted them;)
Parting thoughts:
Laberkäse:
This stuff is weird. It is literally the same meat that they make hot dog's out of, but like in a bread loaf. It tastes good but the knowledge of what's in the meat or rather lack there of, causes your brain to not want it as much as possible. All jokes aside you have it in a sandwich and when it's with mustard, it tastes like a hot dog sandwich, which ain't too bad.
Driving:
Everybody drives so fast here, it's like perpetual Dallas. Also, diesel is cheaper then gasoline. The way it should be.
Ares:
![]() |
| My dog is better than your dog. |
More to come,
-Rushton


















All I can say is "yay!!!" -- as I am grinning from cheek to cheek. Wonderful post! So enjoyed reading it all -- especially the respsonss to the letters and, OF COURSE, the picture of Ares. Say hello to everyone from your mom. And... one last question: where did you go in Carintha? Remember my exchange was to that province, Kärnten, city of Klagenfurt. 😀 If you go again you might try contacting my host families and tutor. Love to you Rushton! 😘
ReplyDelete