Hello from Somewhere Else: An Introduction.


My view from under the solar panel
From someone else's perspective, a blog is an alien world. What I mean is it is super easy to google a person and learn a little too much about them. There is a certain anonymity to people on the internet created by the negligence in researching who your reading. I think this is a generalization I only find true at school because there, people read the news from Snapchat, not The Times.
I don't know why I have started my first blog post with this opinion. Maybe what I'm I'm conveying is though people other than my friends and family know and care about what write here, most people won't. However, ill try to make it interesting as possible.
The reason I started this blog is that I am going to be an exchange student to Austria. I'll write more on that later but for now, I'll say that I'm super excited and not at all nervous.
I also play the violin (Or I call it a fiddle, depending on what mood I'm in.), I ride bikes and I love to work on mechanical things and fix them.
I also like anything adventurous.
Last spring break, I went on an adventure in Big Bend National Park. There was a seven-hour hike to the top of their tallest mountain: Emory Peak. Well, it was supposed to be seven hours but I did it in four cause I'm super fit;). Anyways the last 50 or so vertical feet was a "rock scramble". Now I didn't know what that meant when I asked a passerby but I quickly found out when I reached it. Considering myself pretty open to an adventure I was happy that it is basically rock climbing. It looked pretty scary but I knew it wouldn't be that hard. I had rock climbed in Colorado and if it were a competition within my family, I would have won. Anyways I got up the steep climb and found out that the mountain I had been climbing up for the past couple of hours, didn't have any mountain on the other side until about a couple of thousand feet down. Without a fear of heights, I got on the rock closest to the edge under a solar panel, next to some radio antennae. I swung my legs over the edge dangling my legs in oblivion, while I unpacked my lunch from my camel back, half empty.

That's the end of the story. It seems completely normal and totally not scary to me, but to my parents and anyone else whose brain has completed becoming an adult, that is downright crazy. Although I wouldn't know. I mean my dad would never plop himself down on the edge of a sheer cliff face whether it be 200 feet or 2000. I read an article that explained this phenomenon of teen risk taking. The article, one of probably dozens, said that teens don't necessarily take more risks, we just consider them more. for example, when presented with the option I had, my parents immediately said no. However, if I were to ask someone in my class, even though the might say no, they would most likely think about for a second before answering. I'm not trying to paint a picture of myself as a daredevil,(I'm not.) I'm sure tons of people did what I did, it just felt cool.
 I know this has been kind of all over the place but I think I'm getting better with practice and editing a lot. This post probably doesn't show you as much as a google search might, but at least this information is coming from me.


Comments

Popular Posts